I decided when I knew that we were going to be in quarantine and realizing we didn’t know how long it was going to be, the first thing I was going to do was decide on my routine.
I was going to keep my same routine of getting up in the morning and taking my hot shower to help my back, and then do some sort of stretching and meditation exercises before I did anything else. I also know I must get fresh air everyday (about 30 minutes minimum) the sunlight, air and sounds of nature definitely chase the cabin fever away. Then, I made a conscious decision to make sure my diet is healthy for example, continuing to make juices and eating proportionately without binge eating!
It’s not a secret that we have a lot of time now. There were certain things that I have been putting off around my house for many years that I thought could I could turn those little projects and work it into my new routine.
I decided I was going to make a plan and write things down and not be hard on myself but try to accomplish one or two things a day from my list, so far it’s been wonderful! Even though it is definitely a new normal for now, it’s been fun, rewarding and most importantly not boring. When I finish one thing on my list I try and add another idea to tackle. I get up in the morning though when I feel like it, I’m not, nor have never been a morning person, and I’m not really wanting to change that. That said, it’s important to know what you want to change and what you dont!
I also added a day of pampering within the week. I love making facials and hair masks and aromatherapy baths. I also have fallen in love with doodling, who would have though this could be so relaxing and the results are very pretty (in my opinion, haha)
So here are my tips on how to get the best routine FOR YOU:
- Find what works for you and stick to it! But be gentle with yourself! Try and make your routine joyful and productive. I think this combination is perfect.
- Get your beauty sleep! This is a tough one for many. We all have so much on our minds and a lot of it we have absolutely no control over, especially now. But what we do have control of is our thoughts and choices we make when we get wrapped up in them. When I can’t seem to shake a thought I go to my journal or my notes app and jot down my concerns. This helps me to get it out of my head and to a place where I can go back and work on this issue when I may have better insight.
- Get some sunlight! It’s proven that sunlight improves your mood. You absorb vitamin D through sunlight witch is good for so many reason, including immunity and healthy bones. And who know what beautiful and interesting you’ll see in nature (also be safe while you are outside).
- Lessen your intake on the news (don’t watch it all day!) I feel I need daily updates on our rapidly changing world but I try and limit my time listening to Covid-19 updates to morning and evening. Listening all day can definitely be overwhelming and consume your whole entire day!
- Be positive and help others if you can! So take a deep breath, or a few of them, reset and focus on the positive. Take a few minutes or so everyday and write down things you are grateful for each day, this will help you focus on the good, lower your stress levels and create a positive mindset that you will look forward to doing everyday. I also write down things I will look forward to doing when the quarantine comes to an end. Your mental well-being is extremely important. If you are truly struggling with your mental health, please reach out to someone. All states have mental health help lines available. I know when I needed help and reached out it was life changing, there are people who truly care. Stay strong, stay healthy, we can all do this, together!
What other ways are you strengthening your mental health? Let us know in the comments below!