I’ve always been a big fan of home made skin care and making facials have always been really fun. Every so often I love to hit the local drugstores and see what is new on the shelves for skin care and makeup. The big trend in skincare products at the moment is hyaluronic acid. I wanted to find out what all the buzz is about with Hyaluronic acid products so I bought a Neutrogena Hydro boost gel mask facial with hyaluronic acid for a one time use. First of all, how easy is this, you just open the package place the gel mask on your face, it feels heavenly on your skin, and then just find a comfortable place to relax! It’s easy and and let’s be honest easy is just what we all need. I wanted to understand the reason hyaluronic acid is so wonderful. This is what I found out and needless to say I was very impressed!
Here are the benefits to hyaluronic acid:
1. HYDRATION: Wow! So I’ll describe Hyaluronic acid, imagine your face as a sponge, soaking up water and holding on to it. Hyaluronic acid has the ability to penetrate your skin cells to find water and bind moisture. Hyaluronic acid also acts as a humectant and continues to draw moisture in from the surrounding environment. As we age the lipid barrier which protects us from external elements breaks down. Hyaluronic acid fortifies this lipid barrier and helps lock in the moisture.
2. YOUR SKIN BECOMES MORE RESILIENT: When the lipid barrier is further enhanced and protected by Hyaluronic acid, the skin is better able to defend itself against environmental age factors and pollutants￼. When your skin isn’t working so hard trying to protect itself, your skin can repair itself easier, which can lessen wrinkles, brighten your complexion, and helps your skin bounce back easier.
3. TIGHTER SKIN TONE: No one wants saggy skin! As we age the elastin in the skin breaks down and your skin starts to loose it’s snap, or bounce back. Hyaluronic acid will not replace elastin, but it can help in the appearance of your skins tightness. Hyaluronic acid tightens your overall complexion and helps firm facial contours.
4. CLARITY If you have oily skin and your skin is stripped of hydration, your oil production over compensates to hydrate your skin by producing more oil, this can be troublesome if you are acne prone. When you use Hyaluronic acid, your oil production is not put into overdrive, because your skin is being moisture replenished naturally.
Hyaluronic acid mask products you should try:
- Vichy “sleeping in” Hyaluronic Acid Mask (click here to shop): I love the way my skin feels, super hydrated, when I wake up after using this product.
- Gel Moisture by Hyaluronic Acid Oil Defying Oil (click to shop): This facial moisturizer isn’t a mask but it still has hyaluronic acid oil in it which is good for keeping the skin deeply hydrated throughout the day. It has a gel like texture and improves dullness for healthy and natural glowy skin. It’s super light weight so you won’t feel sticky or heavy afterwards. It’s hard of the “Olay Age Defying Advanced Collection,” so you know you will get all the age defying benefits for about 20 bucks!
I’ll definitely be using more of these simple yet very effective masks when I want a quick facial and don’t have a lot of time! I would love to know what drugstore facials you use and how they work for you.